When it comes to protecting yourself and your loved ones, perhaps the best investment is a home security system. Just like everything else in this world, home security is ever-changing and comes in a variety of forms to fit every need and every level of security.
Let’s check out a few do-it-yourself varieties and then we’ll move on up to professional systems. First, let’s assess your home to see exactly what is needed.
How Secure is my Home?
Before you take the plunge into deciding what type of home security system that you need, the most important first step is to actually take stock of your home. Check out and see if you have any vulnerability that leaves your home open to mayhem.
There are a few questions to ask yourself according to Lifehacker:
• Does my home have areas in it that would make it more difficult to see a burglar?
• Are any windows or doors left unlocked?
• Is my house easily visible from the street i.e. valuables?
• Is my home properly lit at night?
Take a serious assessment of your home and determine what more needs to be done to keep your loved ones and your home safe. Once you have determined your level of security, then you can decide which type of system is best for your family and your home.
Take Security into Your Own Hands
Like any home project, home security can be done with your own knowledgeable hands. In fact, it is easier than most people could imagine and can be significantly cheaper in some cases.
According to the website Techlicious, here are a few of the top DIY security systems:
• Piper NV — You always have your smartphone by your side, right? Why not use it to connect to your home security system? This camera-based security system actually connects to your iPhone or Android phone and will send you an alert if sound or motion is detected. Once you receive the text message, email, push notification or phone call, you can actually see what is happening. The Piper NV is equipped with a night vision camera, featuring a 180-degree view, as well as a two-way radio and best off all – you can activate a burglar-stopping 105 decibel siren. Get all of this for $279.
• iSmartAlarm — If you need something beyond camera monitoring, we have the solution for you. The iSmartAlarm is actually an entire house monitoring system. It includes window and door sensors, a Wi-Fi hub with a 110 decibel siren and a motion sensor. A night vision camera allows you to see what’s going in your home day or night.
This system doesn’t include monthly fees or a service plan and you can customize the system for your particular needs. This system ranges from $293 to $349.
There are plenty more do-it-yourself systems out there to choose from, so there’s bound to be something perfect for your home.
Don’t Think You’re Handy Enough?
If you don’t think you have the skills to install your own security system, fear not, there’s always a professional right around the corner.
• ADT — Perhaps no one company is more synonymous when it comes to professional home security than ADT. This well-respected company has actually been providing a form of home security since 1910, so they have the expertise and skill to leave your home secure. With 24/7 monitoring, you never have to worry about your home being vulnerable to burglars. Not only do you get home security but camera, lighting and video capabilities as well. Simply go to the ADT website to check out the options available to you.
• Honeywell — Honeywell is another well-trusted, reputable company when it comes to meeting your security needs. In addition to providing around-the-clock monitoring, they can keep you connected on your smartphone while you’re on-the-go. Simplicity and convenience is what Honeywell prides itself on.
While home security is one of the most important things that you should prioritize for yourself, your family and your home, it doesn’t have to be a hassle. With a multitude of systems out there, both professional and do-it-yourself, there’s a home security system for every household.