Over the years, consumers have been blessed with many technological improvements. These improvements have completely changed numerous sectors, including vehicles, shopping, communication, and even security. As a homeowner, it is a good idea to take full advantage of one of the latest do it yourself home automation systems. These systems are capable of delivering enormous benefits, but they do have a few potential flaws. Within this guide, you’ll learn all about the home automation system, so you can determine if you need one in your home.
First and foremost, you should learn about the basics of home automation systems. What is it precisely? Well, a home automation system is a type of arrangement, which interlinks many of your home’s devices and systems. The system can combine the following list of devices together.
• Climate control and thermostats
• Alarm systems
Once these devices have been linked together and synced to a central gateway, the user will be able to control and manipulate them from anywhere in the world, by utilizing a tablet, computer or cellphone. The gateway will receive the command and transmit it to the device.
As a homeowner, who is truly interested in adding automation to your home, you should learn about the types of actions you’ll be able to perform. Although each system will be different, the majority of them will offer similar features. Below, you’ll find a list of actions, which are generally offered.
• Switch your home’s lights on or off
• Manipulate the temperature setting on your thermostat
• Arm or disarm your home’s security system
• Lock or unlock your doors
• Turn your cameras on or off
• View your cameras remotely
• Turn off an outlet and shut off any device plugged up there
Of course, the real benefit is the fact that all of these actions can be performed through your smartphone or tablet. This guarantees you can remain in complete control of your home no matter where you are.
When it comes down to it, the pros of home automation most certainly outweigh the cons. These systems make life easier, can help you save money and add an extra layer of security to your home. Suffice to say, you don’t need to be a tech junkie, in order to desire a home automation system. These benefits will be explored in greater depth below.
One of the biggest benefits of having a home automation system set up in your home is 24/7 control and monitoring. Most of these devices are compatible with most iOS and Android devices, plus the Windows operating system. This basically gives you the option of accessing the device from any PC or mobile device from anywhere around the globe. This gives homeowners the opportunity to watch a live stream video of the interior and exterior of their home or business.
With this kind of control, you will be able to manage each device, by setting up schedules, activations/deactivations, and remotely opening the front door. Of course, this is only the tip of the iceberg.
Although purchasing a home automation system and all of the associated components will be costly upfront, the system will actually save you money over a period of time. In fact, this type of technology can save you money in more than one-way. First, the system will allow you to switch off your lights and HVAC unit from anywhere. If you accidentally leave these devices on, while you’re away from home, your electricity bill will slowly climb higher. By switching them off from afar through your smartphone, you won’t have to worry about this.
Also, some home insurance providers will offer premium discounts for homeowners, who have invested in high-tech security cameras. When chatting with your insurance agent, you should be sure to mention your new system. With a little bit of luck, your next monthly premium will be reduced.
Although a good security system can provide you with protection from intruders and criminals, a home automation system ups the ante and delivers additional protections. First and foremost, this type of system will work perfectly with your home’s security cameras. Therefore, it’ll still prevent intruders from accessing your home. Of course, it doesn’t stop there. These systems can also work with an array of sensors, including smoke detectors and monitor sensors. Therefore, you can guarantee the system will alert you to the presence of an intruder, as well as a potential fire in your home.
There are some systems, which also work with water leak sensors. If your pipes have burst and your home begins to flood, the system will alert you immediately, so you’ll be able to take action and rectify the problem, before it can worsen.
Home automation technology continues to grow in popularity, because it offers unlimited benefits. Just like any other electronic device that is connected to the Internet, home automation devices also have some downsides. In order for these devices to operate properly, they need a wireless connection. If at any time, your Internet service goes down, you will not be able to operate these devices. Of course, this does not mean that the devices will not function at all, but you may not be able to manage or monitor them via your app-enabled device.
• Cost – Most home automated devices are very expensive, but this will soon change with all of the new products rolling out on the market. If you have been waiting for the prices to drop, you are in luck, because they are, but only gradually.
• Wi-Fi Range – The Bluetooth technology embedded into these devices will offer a specific signal range. In order for the device to work accordingly, it will need to be located within this range. For instance, if you own a keyfob, it will not work until you enter the connectivity range. This can be limiting for most users, but over time, they become accustomed to the range, learning exactly where the range starts and ends.
• Maintenance – While most of these devices are virtually maintenance-free, you will need to keep the software updated at all times. Whenever the manufacturer rolls out a new update, you will need to take the time to install it. This can be a timely process, if you own multiple home automation devices.
The costs might be expensive, but the benefits provided are undoubtedly well worth it. If you want extra protection, additional peace of mind and wish to save money, you should definitely embrace home automation and add a system to your home.