As a consumer and loving child in today’s society, there is truly an abundance of problems and concerns that you may have. These stresses can be even more complex, if you have a parent that demands to live alone. Your mother or father could trip and fall or succumb to an illness and you would likely know nothing about it, until it was too late. How would your loved one be able to acquire medical assistance? The thought is very frightening and this is why it is a good idea to learn about the medical alert necklace for men and women. Within this guide, you’ll learn all about this device, its purpose and its enormous benefits.
First and foremost, you should learn about the purpose of this device. There are numerous companies, such as Safe Guardian, Medical Alert and Logic Mark, which offer these products. Although they’re slightly different, they are all designed to serve the same purpose. The device gives an elderly or partially incapacitated individual the chance to make contact with the authorities in the event of an emergency. Some of these devices are a little more innovative and are capable of detecting falls and alerting the authorities, without required any action from the victim.
Again, there is an abundance of different systems on the market and each will work differently. However, there are some similarities between them. First and foremost, the majority comes equipped with a bracelet or necklace, which needs to be worn by the patient. Usually, this accessory has a button, which is utilized to notify for assistance. There is also a speaker system, which allows the patient to communicate back and forth with the dispatcher. Therefore, when the patient slips and falls, they can easily press the button on their necklace and begin speaking with an emergency dispatcher almost immediately.
Take note that some systems have a base unit, which includes the speaker. Others will fit the speaker directly into the necklace for easier access. The MediPendant, which has been featured on Lifetime and the Discovery Health Channel, allows speaking and listening directly through the necklace’s pendant for easier access and improved effectiveness. It also offers over 600 feet of range, so you’ll never have to worry about the system letting your loved one down.
Although it truly depends on the specific system in question, the installation procedure is usually straightforward and rapid. The majority of medical alert systems can actually be setup, within a few simple steps. Take note that a phone line is often a necessity. Below, you’ll discover the common steps for installation.
• Unbox everything and separate each component
• Locate the base and the power cord
• Position the base in an ideal location and plug up the power cord to a wall outlet
• Connect a phone cord to the base unit
• Switch everything on
• Give it a test spin to ensure it works
Again, the precise steps may deviate from one system to another, so it is wise to check with the manufacturer.
One of the biggest concerns consumers have when purchasing one of these systems is the overall cost. Although there is some cost involved, the prices have dramatically decreased over the past few years. In fact, it could be said that medical alert systems are cheaper than ever and some of them can be used without a phone line, which can save even more money. Below, you’ll find the potential costs, which might be associated with purchasing a new system.
• The cost of the equipment
• Installation fee, if you’re unable to do it yourself
• Monthly monitoring fee
Remember that the monthly monitoring fee is ongoing and will guarantee that your loved one will always have access to help in the event of an emergency.
When attempting to choose a system for your mother or father, you will want to make sure that you select one that is going to be effective. With this in mind, you will need to analyze a handful of factors, which will be explored in greater depth below.
• Range – Since the pedant or necklace and the base unit work independently, you will want to look at the range specification. The provided range needs to be able to cover the entirety of your parent’s home. This will help to ensure that he or she is able to access help, regardless of where they fall in the home.
• Waterproof Necklace – Although it is possible to slip and fall anywhere, it is much more likely for this to occur in the shower. Be sure to select a bracelet, necklace or pendant, which is waterproof, so it can be worn at all times!
• Buttons – As people begin to grow older, their eyesight will worsen. The complexity of the buttons doesn’t matter. Instead, you should attempt to acquire a necklace, which has oversized buttons. A large, single emergency button is recommended. This is precisely what you can acquire from Medical Alert.
• Battery Backup – Most new systems are much more reliable than they were ten years ago. Much of this has to do with the use of battery backup power. In the event of a power outage, you will want to guarantee that your loved one will still be able to reach help. Therefore, you should make sure that your system is equipped with a battery backup system, which offers plenty of battery life.
• 2-Way Communication – The mass majority of new alert systems will be equipped with 2-way communication. This is undoubtedly a necessity. First, this feature will help to ensure that your loved one will be able to speak with the operator and tell them precisely what is wrong. At the same time, it’ll help to ensure that the patient will be able to confirm false alarms, so the system remains efficient.
These are truly the most important factors to consider, when attempting to select a good medical alert system for your loved one.
The market is truly overflowing with medical alert necklace for men and women. Investing in one sooner rather than later is highly recommended. Remember that waiting it out might save you money, but this type of behavior could also put your loved one at risk! By utilizing the aforementioned information, you shouldn’t have a bit of trouble locating a system, which will prove to be worthwhile and effective.